Dwell in the Knowledge 'I Am' - Nisagadatta Maharaj


Maharaj: For meditation you should sit with identification with the knowledge "I am" only and have confirmed to yourself that you are not the body.
You must dwell only in that knowledge "I am"--not merely the words "I am." The design of your body does not signify your identification.
And also, the name which is given to you or to the body is not your correct identity. The name which is imposed on you, or the name which you have heard about you- you have accepted that name as yourself. Similarly, since you have seen your body, you think you are the body. So you have to give up both these identities. And the indwelling knowledge that you are, without words, that itself you are. In that identity, you must stabilize yourself. And then, whatever doubts you have, will be cleared by that very knowledge, and everything will be opened up in you...

Visitor: My question is, is there a useful way for arriving at moksha and are there particular signs for distinguishing which paths are the best for us?

M: You just listen to all this, whatever is being said here; follow that, abide in that and be that. Don't ask me about other paths. The path I am expounding, you listen to that, and abide in it...

V: I am interested especially in practice, how to start it.

M: Forget all about physical disciplines in this connection. I am telling you that the indwelling principle. "I am," the knowledge that you are, you have to *be* that. Just be that. With that knowledge "I am," hold on to the knowledge "I am."

V: It is difficult to abandon attachment to action; even in this way. it is not easy always to remember "I am," the truth of the atman.

M: You know that you are sitting here; you know you are, do you require any special effort to hold on to that "you are"? You know you are; abide in that. The "I am" principle without words, that itself is the God of all Ishwaras.

V: Is devotion not useful as an initial step?

M: First step or second step, I have the first and final step at the same time! The knowledge "I am," without words, itself is the Ishwara. He, Ishwara, does not want another (Maya) agent or intermediary. Direct.


Nisargadatta Maharaj
"The Ultimate Medicine"
Edited by Robert Powell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sai Baba - the Prayer of Surrender

Sai Baba - Seema Dewan's Letter of 3rd May 2011

Ramesh Balsekar 1917 - 2009